Now that you are living in the internet age, it is important for you to know how to use the internet. Browsing the internet can be a great pastime during your retirement days. However, you must be aware of the internet safety measures that need to be followed.
Gone are the days when you could trust everyone blindly. Nowadays, it’s important that you keep your eyes and ears wide open to prevent yourself from being cheated, especially when you are using the internet.
Few internet safety tips that you should take note of are mentioned below:
- When checking your e-mails, make sure that you do not read mails sent to you from an unknown person. They might contain virus that may cause harm to your computer.
- Make sure you delete the Spam mails. Spams are unwanted, often sent from dubious people. Many of them are either commercial advertisements or contain illegal information. You should delete these.
- Ensure that you do not divulge any confidential or private information like Social security number, driving license number, address, telephone number and passwords when installing internet service. Genuine companies and service providers will never ask you for such details through an e-mail.
- If you are buying any product on-line, then you need to be extra careful. Make sure you take a print out of the order for future reference.
- Save attachments received through e-mail as a file so that the anti-virus in your computer can scan it for possible viruses.
- If you are accessing your e-mail from some public computer, then you must log out of your e-mail account before you leave.
- At home, when you are not using the internet make sure you disconnect from the internet connection.
- Make sure that there is a firewall in order to prevent unauthorized access to you computer.
With the seniors becoming more and more internet savvy, it’s necessary the internet safety guidelines are kept in mind while using the internet. As a senior and retiree, you might be spending hours in front of the internet. It is, thus, necessary that you are aware of the guidelines to make internet browsing a safe and fun filled activity.