Beginning Exercise in Old Age
It is never too late to start exercising, and the fact that you have realized that you need to have an exercise routine is half the battle won! However, you must proceed systematically with the help of professionals in fixing your exercise program. There are certain preliminaries to be completed before beginning to exercise in old age. The proper procedures are mentioned below.
Calculate your BMI (Body Mass Index)
Calculate your BMI (Body Mass Index) to check if you are overweight. You could visit www.nhlbi.nih.gov to understand how you can calculate your BMI using the BMI calculator.
If you are not used to exercising regularly, you need to discuss this with your doctor before you begin on any exercise plan. If you are suffering from conditions like arthritis, osteoporosis, high blood pressure or heart disease, there are a few exercises that you will probably be advised not to undertake. Some of the guidelines you need to follow while you workout are:
- Lifting weight for a senior could be risky, so start with very light weights. The exercise equipment that you could use for this purpose includes- dumbbells, machines, and/or resistant bands.
- All muscle groups need to be exercised. Work all your muscles including chest, back, shoulders, arms, abdomen, and legs.
- Progress slowly. Remember it is about building up a fit body, and it takes time to shed fat, loosen up stiff joints, and build resistance.
- Don’t begin lifting weights as soon as you walk into the gym. Do a short warm up exercise before you start with the heavier ones.
A few exercise tips for seniors
- You should start exercising gently.
- Make sure to do some brisk walking every day. It is the best form of exercise that one can think of.
- Start with some light exercises and don’t stop abruptly.
- Be regular.
- Do not exercise at all just after eating or if you are unfit and exhausted.
- Wear appropriate clothing – loose but not baggy outfits and shoes with cushioned-soles.
- Do not hold your breath during your exercise.
- Join a workout class with friends who are pursuing the same goal as you are.
- Remember, this should be fun! Pick something you enjoy doing.