Community Service-Benefits of Community Service
Benefits of Community Service
The benefits of community service include:
- A sense of pride and happiness in helping others
- Strengthening your community
- Fostering a sense of responsibility
- Building tolerance
- Solving problems
- Bonding within the community
- Improvement of lives
People who volunteer bring about an overall improvement in their lives; they become more "connected" to their families and neighbors, and have a happier and a more positive outlook towards life.
How can you become a volunteer for community service?
If you wish to join community service and are looking for volunteer services near your vicinity, you can visit http://www.volunteer.gov/gov/. This website will give you details of community services that you can join, organized by states, age groups and area of interests. Or, you can call up hospitals, churches and charities and find out if they are in need of volunteers. You can search your phone book, which lists volunteer services under 'Volunteerism' in the 'Human Services' section. Local volunteer clearinghouses are also there to help you find the right community service organizations in your locality.
To learn more about how active adults are volunteering at the different states, we suggest you also visit the "Volunteering at the state level" topic under "Volunteering in America" section at www.cns.gov.
A few tips before you join Community Service
Ask yourself a few questions before deciding on the community service to join:
- Why do you want to volunteer?
- What are your skill sets?
- What kind you activities do you like being involved in?
- Are there any issues that you feel strongly about?
- How many hours a week can you work?
- Would you able to shuffle your work and other commitments to make time for volunteer work?
- Would you prefer to work within your community or travel to other places?
- Would you be willing to travel abroad for volunteer services?
- Would you be comfortable with devoting your "free time" to volunteer work?
- All Local Guides
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia